Part 1. The business and principles of truffle growing
On completion of this section of the course, you’ll have gained knowledge and understanding in;
- The ‘business’ of truffle farming
- Today’s global marketplace and how it works.
- Export, wholesale and local markets.
- Industry development and research milestones.
- The non-negotiable factors of truffle growing today
- Mycorrhiza – the complex relationship between specialised fungi and host trees.
- Truffles – valuable species, natural habitats, life-cycles, mating types, brule and fruiting conditions.
- Host trees – species, quality assurance and certification programs.
- Site suitability – climate, topography, elevation, aspect, water resources and soil characteristics.
- Business planning – understanding the financial aspects of the investment.